Katesgrove – this day – 7 August 1862

Christ Church, Reading from Glebe road

The ‘Reading Book of Days from the History of Reading Society reminded us that Christ Church was consecrated by the Right Revd Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford on 7 August 1862.

Continue reading

Advertisements

The fate of the Whitley Conduit

Drawing of the Whitley Conduit 1908 by Mr T.T. Cumming – Berks, Bucks & Oxon Archaeological Journal Vol 14

The Whitley Conduit on Highgrove Street was probably Reading Abbey’s drinking water source until the Abbey’s dissolution in the sixteenth century. The conduit existed at least until 1908, when Edward Margrett described the remains and requested that the municipal authorities repair it. But what happened to it after that?

Continue reading