Kendrick School’s Houses, a booklet by Kendrick School old girl Katie Amos, lays out the history of the three houses: Watlington House, Sidmouth House and the Cedars, which have been occupied by Kendrick School in the past and today.
Watlington House was the first home to the school, between 1877 and 1926. It then moved into Sidmouth House on London Road, and in 1947 the school expanded into the Cedars next door.
Sidmouth House was built in 1835 by the Hon. John Broderick. After his death in 1842 it was sold to George May. Mr May split the house into two, Sidmouth House east and west, and after renting the properties out, he moved into Sidmouth House east himself in about 1862.
The last private resident of Sidmouth House east was dentist Allan Goadby who lived there until 1913 when it was taken over by the General Post Office (GPO).
The last private resident of Sidmouth House west was Rev. Williams Stow Mahoney, curate at S Giles on Southampton Street. He occupied the house from 1905 to 1911 when he moved away to became vicar at Linslade in Buckinghamshire. In common with Sidmouth House east, it was then taken over by the post office.
In the same year, the Cedars was also taken over by the GPO. It was built sometime before 1853 and the last private resident was William Haynes who ran an ironmongers shop on Duke Street.
This booklet is not a history of Kendrick School; it documents the history of the site and the buildings erected on it in the nineteenth century and the fascinating local residents, fleeting in some cases, who occupied them. For the school, readers are referred to Daphne Barnes-Phillips’ Long May Our Lion Roar, launched during the 2017 Heritage Open Days.
Kendrick School’s Houses costs £2 and is available from Reading Central Library. It is one in a series of booklets about the history of Reading, published by Reading Libraries.
The series also includes:
- Reading Central Library
- Kendrick School
- Curtains Up! by Katie Amos
- Around Reading in 99 Facts
- Daphne Barnes-Phillips Long May Our Lion Roar
- Book signings for Heritage Open Days 2017