At that time the church was incomplete because of lack of funds; without a tower and spire until 1874 and the internal paving had been made of the cheapest materials.
Sir William Milman, the third baronet, gave the land for the building and Grove Road was renamed Milman Road to commemorate him.
The foundation stone of the new church had been laid on 6 July 1861 and was a big local occasion. Sir William Milman did not attend the ceremony, but his uncle Henry Hart Milman, dean of St Paul’s, was able to be there.
The church was originally planned as a “chapel of ease” for St Giles’, to cope with an expanding parish. Woodyer’s school in Basingstoke Road (qv St Paul’s School) was used until Christ Church was ready.
- Reading Book of Days with contributions by many authors
- A walk around Christchurch Conservation Area – second stop