Reading Mayor councillor Debs Edwards rang the bell of the George Palmer School after a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Palmer Academy on Monday 18 June. The Northumberland Road academy is the successor to the George Palmer School which opened in 1907.
The bell, which had been saved when the old school buildings were demolished in 2004, was renovated and now has a home in the garden at the front of the school.
The ceremony was opened by head of the school, Mr Dom Prendergast. Mr Rob Bruce, the school’s family support manager, then explained how the bell had been installed in 1907 when the George Palmer School opened and that it was part of Reading and Palmer Academy history.
The Mayor asked pupils to be ambassadors for the school and community and make a difference like George Palmer did in the 1800s.
After a countdown of “3-2-1” from the assembled pupils, the Mayor cut the ribbon and rang the bell.
Daphne and Jim Barnes-Phillips were also present at the ceremony. Daphne Barnes-Phillips is a local historian who has written two books about the school and one about its predecessor, the British School on Southampton Street. The British School closed on 27 September 1907, and on 3 October 127 infant school pupils transferred to the George Palmer School and were joined by 47 from other schools.
Links and References
- Palmer Academy
- George Palmer – Wikipedia
- Books by Daphne Barnes- Phillips at Corridor Press
- Daphne Barnes-Phillips (2011). This is Our School. Reading British School 1811-2011
- Dennis Wood. Views from the Hill. The Story of Whitley and memories of Whitley Life in Times Past