Reading Bowling Club on Kendrick Road in Katesgrove are concerned that proposed changes to parking arrangements on Morgan and Kendrick Roads will have a severe detrimental effect on the club.
The club relies on the availability of parking on roads near the club to supplement their own 10 spaces on-site. Recently proposed changes to the Hospital and University Area Parking Scheme will mean that parking spaces on Morgan Road are reduced and that there will be no free parking on Kendrick Road during the day at weekends.
The club was founded in 1803 and the original bowling green was on Crown Street. In 1892 they purchased land which had been part of the Highgrove estate and moved the home of Reading Bowling Club to Kendrick Road. The club is a very popular venue because of the quality of its green.
The club responded to the Reading Borough Council consultation on the changes:
If we lose the current unrestricted parking at weekends then we will not be able to offer weekend games, which is of course when many people have more time to play.
We have already put strategies in place so that we can operate under the current parking regime … We have also made clear to our own and visiting players what our parking arrangements are.
The changes to waiting restrictions on Morgan Road include:
- the south side of Morgan Road from the junction of Kendrick Road to where residents’ parking starts will become ‘no waiting at any time’. It is currently ‘no waiting Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm’,
- on the north side of Morgan Road, the current no waiting restrictions of 8am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday will be extended to Saturdays and Sundays.
These minor changes were proposed at the January traffic management sub-committee. The September 2017 sub-committee had already agreed to consult on the expansion of pay and display restrictions in the area to include weekends and the two consultations were combined.
Proposed changes to pay and display arrangements on Kendrick Road mean that payment will be required 8am to 5.30pm every day of the week including weekends.
The results of the consultation will be discussed at the traffic management sub-committee on Wednesday 13 June at 6.30 pm at the Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Reading, RG1 2LU and the meeting is expected to be webcast.
- Reading Bowling Club
- Traffic Management sub-committee 13 June 2018 papers & webcast
- Traffic Management sub-committee September 2017 papers & webcast
- Traffic Management sub-committee January 2018 papers & webcast
- Reading Bowling Club in The Whitley Pump
- Parking in Pepper Lane