Reading register office at Yeomanry House on Castle Hill will be holding an open day on Saturday 21 April from 10am to 2pm. This is to mark the fiftieth anniversary since it opened in 1968, and also its closure later this year.
The last ceremonies at Yeomanry House will take place on 3 November. All register office services are moving to the Civic Offices or Reading Town Hall and Museum.
Yeomanry House is a historic Grade II listed building (1321962) which was the home of the Berkshire Yeomanry from 1906 and was later used by other military units until it became the register office. It was once a large family house known as Castle Hill House and Ascham House.
Leader of the council, Councillor Jo Lovelock announced at the Reading Borough Council (RBC) policy committee meeting on 12 March that the building had been sold and would become a children’s nursery.
RBC would like to create a display of photographs and memories to show at the open day. They are asking for people to send them copies of photos (but not the originals, as they will not be returned) and a short description of no more than 300 words of who is in the photo and when it was taken.
You can email photos and descriptions to email@example.com or send them by post to:
Reading Register Office
- Appeal for ‘Memories’ of Yeomanry House for Community Open Day
- Yeomanry House development opportunity
- Yeomanry House – wikipedia
- RBC policy committee 12 March 2018 papers & webcast