In ‘Parched City‘, recently reviewed by the Whitley Pump, Emma M Jones explained that the design was adapted from Santa & Cole’s standard Atlàntida spout to protect the health of users and to prevent water waste.
Until 1970, the fountain was located in the Guildhall Yard, pictured below. It was then taken down and stored when Guildhall was redeveloped.
Originally erected in 1866, the architect was John Robinson and the sculptor, Joseph Durham. It was one of the fountains provided by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association for the parishes of St Lawrence Jewry and Mary Magdalene.
- Santa & Cole
- St Lawrence Jewry Memorial Fountain
- Book Review – Parched City by Emma M Jones
- St Lawrence Jewry
- Drinking Fountain Association