The latest application to redevelop the site of the Woodley Arms public house as 38 student studios (171893) will be considered at the Reading Borough Council (RBC) planning applications committee on Wednesday 10 January.
Planning officers have recommended in their report to the committee that the application be refused because:
The proposed buildings, by reason of their noticeably greater scale, bulk and massing compared to existing buildings either side and opposite, and their uncharacteristic layout, poor quality detailing and prominent position, would result in an overly dominant, alien and jarring feature within the streetscene, with consequent unacceptable harm to the character and appearance of the area. As such the proposal is contrary to Policy CS7 [Design and the Public Realm] of the Reading Borough LDF Core Strategy and para. 17 of the NPPF [National Planning Policy Framework].
- Reading Borough Council Local Development Framework Core Strategy
- National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF)
- The past, present and unknown future of the Woodley Arms
- Planning application 171893: The Woodley Arms, Waldeck Street
- Planning applications committee 10 January 2018 papers & webcast