The western edge of Katesgrove as it was in 1940 from Fobney Meadow is depicted in this watercolour by R.W. Ford.
The time is the Second World War (1939-45) and stakes have been driven into the ground on the meadow to prevent enemy aircraft landing.
Looking beyond the Kennet and over Waterloo Meadows are the chimneys of Waterloo Kiln, the water tower of the Co-op printing works and factory buildings along Elgar Road.
From left to right on the horizon are the ends of terraces such as Edgehill Street and Waldeck Street, then Christchurch School, Swainstone Road and Christchurch.
Reginald W Ford was a Reading illustrator and there are many of his works in the Reading Library illustrations collection but this is the only watercolour.
Currently on display in Reading Museum’s Reading Abbey Quarter: Then and Now exhibition are Reginald Ford’s representation of Reading Abbey as it may have looked around the time of the dissolution in 1539. These are on show until 23 September in the John Madejski Art Gallery. He was also responsible for the model of Reading Abbey which is on permanent display in the downstairs gallery.
- R.W.Ford in the Reading Library Illustrations Collection
- Reading Libraries
- Reading Abbey Quarter: Then and Now
- Reading Abbey in the Museum’s online collection