Charles Philbrick and his brother George were the second generation to run Philbrick’s tannery on Katesgrove Lane. They took over the business from their father John in the 1860s.
The family home of Katesgrove House was sold in the early 1870s and both brothers moved away from the area. At the time of his death in 1921, Charles was living at Summerfield on Southcote Lane.
He was a member of the congregation of All Saints, Downshire Square and the funeral service was held there before he was buried at Hemdean Road cemetery in Caversham. He was buried in the same plot as his son Arthur who had died in 1918.
A short obituary in the Berkshire Chronicle described him:
In his young days, Mr Philbrick was a keen sportsman and a runner of greyhounds, achieving considerable success in many leading events. Another favourite pastime was shooting. Well known and highly respected in Reading social circles, he never took any active part in public affairs, his business always having the chief claim on his attention [ref 3].
Links and references
- Map of Caversham Cemetery
- Smells of Katesgrove – Philbrick’s Tannery
- Berkshire Chronicle 7 January 1921 p15
- Katesgrovians in Reading Old Cemetery – John and Eliza Philbrick